Wednesday 23 April 2014

There it was, gone...

And then it was the last night.  Just like that.  All that work, all that effort from cast and crew alike, done.

On the last night, I was a punter.  A genuine Bona Fide punter.  I had paid for my ticket and two others at my table as well actually and had the front table for my family.  This obviously did not mean I could slack off my other duties, like ensuring the furniture was in the right place and correcting the picture that my stage crew would always hang wonky, just so that I could straighten it out, or to annoy me, you choose.  So I still was there to greet all of our 84 guests plus 3 walk ins (yes, that's right a sold out audience!) including NODA who were there to review for us.  Just as we were going in for our 5 minute (10 minute) call, I went to talk to my cast.

After the initial protests about punters not being allowed in the dressing rooms, they quietened down so that I could say a few words.  Which I tried to do.  I attempted to tell them how proud I was of them for bringing my play to life, I think I got to proud before my voice cracked.  Jenna came to hug me which of course made it worse which them made the cast very happy and I ended up in the middle of a woods group hug.  Charming eh?  They delighted in making their Writer/Director cry!

And then it was time.

I think I had found a kind of safety on the stool at the back of the room, I had the knowledge that I had DZ in my ear and I could tell the lighting dude when to take the lights up or down (even though he knew what he was doing completely).  I had a kind of blankie that I now had to let go of, so my nerves were even worse as we sat down.  I have to say (yes, I realise I've said it before) that it was excellent.  Being in the thick of the audience was brilliant.  I got the atmosphere that I had missed out on being on my stool and could feel the tension in the crowd, it was palpable.  Just as I had wanted when I wrote it.  The gasps, screams in some cases and the overall nervousness of everyone was awesome.  I spent part of the time looking around to see how engrossed people were and they were hooked.  It was amazing.  I was even close enough to see the tear fall from Sophie's eye as she delivered her final line.  Beautiful.

I managed to get out first to pop off to see the cast who has performed their socks off all week for me and to tell them all how wonderful they were, cue voice cracking and tear welling again.

And it was done.  Or was it?  The Woods lot were a little disappointed that we didn't enter the festival along side the zombies and had been nagging me that we should take it to a festival.  So we are, we will be applying to appear at the Woking festival on October and then probably again at the Runnymede festival after that.  DZ has also invited us to come and perform with his group The Fringe Files in September in Somerset so we get a practise run before the festival too.  Yay!  Road Trip!!!

All that remains for now is to thank everyone, if I forget anyone I am truly sorry.

To start, I thank my cast, they have been amazing to me, understanding, professional, dedicated.  I couldn't have asked you all for anything else.  My crew, backstage, front of house, catering, lights, sound, box office, again you all made this a very easy and pleasant journey for me.  Our audiences, thank you for coming, for taking a chance on two brand new plays by unknown authors and for paying your hard-earned to support local theatre.  I appreciate it so much and hope to see you at other shows we do.

Finally, to my mentor and guide on my first writing/directing outing, Director Zombie.  It is what it is because of your support, which I obviously will completely forget when I'm collecting my Olivier award...

Song of the day - Kate Bush - This Woman's Work

No comments:

Post a Comment